Recipe for another autumn favourite from GreenCity Wholefoods, a workers’ co-operative who bring us welcome supplies of delicious food from Glasgow every second Monday.
If you wish to spice it up try adding a teaspoon full of Mr Vikki’s North Indian curry paste which is available in the shop.
- 1.5 kg sized pumpkin
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- about 800ml vegetable stock
- 50ml double cream
- 15g butter
- 200g red lentils
- olive oil
- Fresh parsley or coriander
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5.
- Cut pumpkin into chunks, remove seeds, and place on baking tray. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil and scatter the garlic cloves around the pumpkin (remember to keep the skins on the garlic cloves to stop them from burning). Roast for one to one and a half hours until tender.
- Remove from the oven when soft and allow to cool. Once cooled remove the skin from the pumpkin flesh. Remove the skin from the roasted garlic and put to one side.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and stir frequently for 5-6 minutes until translucent.
- Add the roasted garlic along with a touch of seasoning and a pinch of grated nutmeg. Continue fry for a further 1-2 minutes, then add the pumpkin flesh to the pan.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, add the red lentils and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Blend until smooth.
- Stir in the cream and re-heat.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or coriander (both available from the shop).
Recipe tried, tasted and approved by GreenCity Wholefoods